Sunday, June 28, 2009

Plunging ahead with weaving


Needing to replace the ragged runners in my entrance way brought me to rug weaving. The rug shown above is only my third project, the first being a long twill sampler I did to familiarize myself with the loom I had just purchased from a friend. The second is the first rug on this same warp, shown on the front of my webpage http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/.
Essentially, I decided I needed rugs and just kind of plunged ahead. At first, I thought I could spin the warp, but soon abandoned this plan. I picked the 8/5 linen warp out from Yarn Barn samples merely because I liked it. It seemed to be the right thickness. Fortunately the weaving world is a friendly word and I was able to get advice on what to do. This is why I am weaving a warped faced rug with a 4 dents per inch. I started out with a single color weave, but my loom came with Designing and Making Handwoven Rugs by Osmal Gallinger Tod and Josephine Couch Del Deo. This is where I found the idea for the Indian Saddle Blanket motif shown above. With a flurry of activity, I spun up all the yarn and now I am deep into weaving this second rug.
There is a lot to weaving rugs and tensioning the linen warp has proven tricky. My rugs look good on the loom, but I have no idea what they will look like once cut from the loom and freed from tension. Will they be buckled or skewed? I have no idea. One thing though I do know, is that I am benefiting from having plunged ahead. I am learning a lot by just doing which I know will benefit all my future weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment