Sunday, August 2, 2009

New-to-me loom


Buying a wider loom has been a topic of my musing for quite some time. I have lots of ideas for wider projects and so I have been looking around at weaving guild websites to try to find something affordable. At first I was looking for an eight-harness loom, but these tend to command higher prices than their four-harness counterpart. I also needed something sturdy because I have lots of ideas for rugs though one of those big rug looms is out of the question, because I just don’t have the space for it. Though I’ve taken over two spare bedrooms, these are smallish so each can only hold so much.
I saw this loom on a weaving guild website and at first, I wasn’t sure. It is a four-harness 60” weaving width jack-type Leclerc, and I was still thinking eight. But I couldn’t get it out of my mind. I thought about it for a couple of months and I realized that if I was going to do a lot of rug weaving, four harnesses is what I needed. I also knew I had the room for it. I discussed it with my husband, contacted the seller and within a week we were on our way to her house to buy it. Carol, the seller, had already taken it apart so it only took moments to load it into the back of our SUV. It’s amazing how small and portable a loom is taken apart. We put the loom together the next day. This weekend, my husband and I made the raddle shown clamped to the backbeam. Next weekend, I will begin to wind some warp for a series of 3’ X 4’ rugs. My husband has been very supportive—not only does he have hobbies of his own, but he really likes the new hall rugs.
Weaving guilds are a great source for used looms. If you are thinking of trying weaving, you might consider previously owned equipment. You usually need to pick up the loom, so check guild classifieds that are in what you consider to be a reasonable driving distance. Weaver’s selling used looms often throw in useful things like shuttles, raddles, yarn and extra reeds. This loom I just purchased came with 8/4 rug warp which I will use for its first project. Another great place to look are the Spinners’, Weavers’ , & Knitters’ Housecleaning Pages at http://www.kbbspin.org/ and, of course there’s the Warped Weaver’s Marketplace on Ravelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment