Sunday, October 4, 2009

Creative synergy

There is nothing quite like driving up to one’s knitting Starbucks to find it swathed in yellow crime scene tape. Upon closer inspection, I realized I’d let my imagination run away and it was merely construction scene “caution” tape. Inside, the Starbuck’s had been gutted and stripped back to its aluminum studs: closed for renovation.

Not wanting to miss the meeting, I rushed home and checked the Raverly group—all the while kicking myself for ignoring the premonition to check for news before I left in the first place. Fortunately, it had moved to the next Starbucks over. I was relieved to get there with still an hour or more of knitting comradeship to go.

Which has me thinking that I can’t underestimate the importance of the knitting group. At this meeting, I showed off the pretty new yarn I purchased at Neota Designs in Estes Park, Colorado. I really had no idea what to make with it. I had thought socks when I purchased it, then later maybe a pretty hat. As I sat knitting with my group, Dana pulled a lovely lace scarf pattern (Knitpicks Gust) from her portable stash and Lorna remarked it would be perfect. They and others agreed. Looking at the design, I had to concur. The design is perfect for my yarn and once finished, it will look great with my wool “go to work” winter coat.

A creative synergy develops when knitters get together. I know the encouragement of my knitting friends will help me try something new. I don’t often knit from patterns, and I rarely knit lace as I like sturdy warm woolens. Without the momentum of the knitting group, I’m not sure I would have thought of it.

Thank you for visiting my blog. If you aren’t a member of a knitting/spinning/weaving guild or group, look for one in your area! You’ll be glad you did. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. You are so correct about the creative support and ideas that come from a 'group'.

    My knitting would not be where it is today without the encouragement, suggestions, and technical support from other knitters!

    Now we just need to form a weekly spin group for the same type of support!

    ReplyDelete