Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weaving in Woodstock

Searching for a weaving guild, I drove up to Woodstock, IL, with spinning guild friend Pat to find out what Woodstock Weavers is all about. Woodstock Weavers is having their annual show this October, and you can find out more about it at their website http://www.woodstockweaversguild.org/. This year’s show is judged by Robyn Spady and at the meeting I attended, she gave an abridged version of her workshop “There’s Two Sides to Every Cloth” about double weave.

It is fascinating to me all the things that can be done with weaving. As a new weaver I don’t expect to be doing double weave anytime soon. I’ll be glad just to get the warp properly on my loom! One thing I learned is double weave can use twice as many warp threads--so you can see why I'll leave that for a future experiment.

Woodstock, by the way, is a lovely little town and would be a nice destination for a fall weekend, even without a weaving exhibit to visit after lunch.

Since we were up that way, Pat and I stopped at The Fold. I have a picture here of all the different colors of roving available—there’s plenty of lovely stuff! Though I generally like to do my own carding and dyeing, I don’t mind purchasing some nice roving every so often. I found a merino/bamboo/nylon blend that I want to experiment with, and a small bag of coral merino that will make a nice accent color in the Fair Isle yoke I want for a sweater.

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please visit again.

1 comment:

  1. Double weaving? Fair Isle yokes? Those are some tall orders! Don't mind me, I'll be over here working on my hubs new scarf in a simple reversible cable, marveling at your accomplishments!

    So, how is the warping going? Or is that a sore subject as your loom has been conspicuously absent? I kid, I kid!

    ReplyDelete