Monday, July 5, 2010

Voila!



Guess what flew into my milkweed patch?  Yes: a monarch butterfly. I was able to get a photo of it hanging out on a milkweed stalk--please note I am not much of a wildlife photographer! 

I noticed the monarch definitely showed a preference for the milkweed plant. Tossed around in a light breeze it touched down on other native plants, such as coneflower, for only a fraction of a second, but happily relaxed on the milkweed as shown here.  Monarchs lay their eggs on milkweed. Could that be a female?  Could I have tiny monarch caterpillars hatching in few weeks?  That would be very exciting, and I will keep an eye out for eggs. As intrepid wildlife photographer, I'll sneak up on them and catch them in action.

Thank you for visiting my blog! Please stop by again.  Don't forget my website: http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it is funny you post a picture of a butterfly. It has been years (literally) since I have seen one and yesterday I saw one flitting across the bike racks outside the station. Weird, huh? I hope they are becoming endangered or anything like that :S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found I don't notice things until I start thinking about them and looking for them. It worked that way for me with birding.

    ReplyDelete