Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sustainable weekend

Having finished Bill McKibben's Deep Economy, it is not surprising I found myself at the farmer's market in the misty rain looking at plum tomatoes.  I bought a half a bushel of them and, with Ted's help, soon had two pots of tomatoes cooking on the stove--a simple mixture of olive oil, garlic and basil.  Now there are 18 tubs of fresh sauce in the freezer so I can enjoy summer flavor into December. The leftover basil, I also froze so my canned tomatoes can get a little boost in January and February.

With all this activity, I also managed to cast on my Kinsale! That's a project that's been a long time coming, starting last August when I purchased the fleece at Elihu Farm. I washed, picked and carded it and am now almost finished spinning the fleece into two ply fingering weight yarn.  It's been an enjoyable process, but I think successfully casting on the sweater has to be the most satisfying. Spinning and knitting has made me appreciate clothes so much more in this throw away world of ours.

A newly cast on sweater is not particularly photogenic, so I'm showing you the stranded mittens I'm making as part of the September knit-a-long on Ravelry's Stranded group.  They are coming along quite nicely.  The stranded designs come from Nancy Bush's Knitting in Estonia.  I'm adapting an Elizabeth Zimmerman method of mitten making to this.  The yarn is leftovers from other projects and I hope to burn down more stash with these.  I really like making these so maybe there are more mittens on the horizon.

Thank you for visiting my blog, please stop by again!  You can also visit my website at http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment