Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apples of my eye

These apples where the result of Office Foraging.
Urban Homesteader, an excellent book, talks about urban foraging--the practice of picking fruit from public greenways--you know that strip down the middle of the road that is often planted.  The authors grow vegetables in the strip in front of their house, not something I would do though I might grow pole beans over my mailbox.  Anyhow, after reading this, I started eyeing apple trees on the way home through my suburb, wondering if I could talk my husband into helping me pick the fruit so I could make apple butter. 

Fortunately, I discovered something even better than urban foraging: office foraging.  That beautiful bag of apples shown above was excess from a co-worker's parents who happen to have a hobby orchard.  So I was able to make apple butter without climbing a ladder.  I just had to lug a full shopping bag down to my car.

Those apples were delicious, by the way . I saved a few out to eat for lunch.  And the apple butter is excellent.  I brought a pot load (literally) home and cooked it down to 1/3 with lots of cinnamon.  Yum. Most of it is in the freezer, with one container left out for immediate consumption.
Finishing these socks was postponed when I ran out of yarn.  I quickly spun some more.

I also finally finished the green bamboo/merino socks and I'm looking forward to the temperature dropping so I can wear them.  Or maybe I'll just wear them tomorrow.  I'd like to get a sock wardrobe going, but with everything else I'm doing, it's not happening too soon.

Thank you for visiting my blog.  Please stop by again.  For fiber related information, you can visit my website at http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment