Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A soothing North Country autumn

One stranded mitten knit, one to go.  Sorry, I didn't take any leaf pictures to show you.
Traveling to see family and foliage, we drove back to the North Country just in time to enjoy the Nor'easter that hit those parts.  At first, I was concerned the rain and wind would ruin the leaf experience.  It wouldn't be the picture perfect time I'd originally expected from earlier weather reports. 

But who needs perfection?  As we drove along back roads in the Southern Adirondacks, we found something different: Against the dreary, drizzly gray sky, the golds and reds seemed to glow from within. There was a mood to it, a special beauty--a texture even--that I can carry in my head.  This was an exceptionally lovely fall for me, soothing and pleasant in ways that I can't completely explain.We drove up narrow roads lined with golden leaved trees, and looking into the woods, there was a depths of golds and reds shadowless and bright in the dim light.

During our ride we did a little foraging--stopping at a farmer's market and farms we knew of for maple syrup, aged cheddar and some frozen grass fed lamb and beef to fill up our cooler for the dash home. So we'll have a little bit of the north country with us, either splashed on our oatmeal or sizzling on the grill. 

Oh, and yes, I did pick up some fleece. What else would I do?

Thank you for visiting my blog.  Please stop by again. For fiber tips, you can visit my blog at http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment