Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stashmonster rears her locky head

This is the first clip of Linus, an Angora kid at Tall Grass Farm
I don't need a big festival like Rhinebeck to come home with a bags and bags of stash.  In fact, I do better at the small fairs where I get to talking with people I've known for years and end out walking away with some bags of their products.  One of the beauties of living in the Midwest are all the cozy little fiber festivals, such as my all time favorite at Tall Grass Farm.  They have one twice a year, so Saturday I was attending the Fall Fiber Jubilee.

Naturally, I had to spend some time over in the barn where the Tall Grass Angora Goats are being sheared.  That's where my friend Elaine sets up her Coed Mawr Woolen Mill booth.  We had a lot of catching up to do as I missed the spring fling, so here we are chatting up a storm in her booth full of the colorful fibers she cards herself at her mill.  I ended out with three bags full.

This blend of Targhee, Angelina and Tencel will be socks oneday.
 During this chat, I spotted a bag full of kid mohair, shown at the top of the page.  What I loved about this one is it has three shades--dark grey, silver gray and white.  This just caught my eye and I know it will be a puzzle as I decide what to make. I love a challenge.  Tall Grass Farm has lovely fleece, and for those of you who like it processed you can go up in their store and find fabulous yarns, rovings, blends and more.


This Coed Mawr mix of Corriedal and Mohair ought to make some interesting socks.

Stopping in to see Mary Wallace of White Dove Farm was a must.  I've purchased some of the most lovely Corriedale Wool from her (soon to star in a dyeing project to create an Alice Starmore design).  I once used three consecutive years of one of her ewes named Winken to knit a king sized blanket. Mary is quite the fiber artist herself and has some gorgeous felted scarves and other items.  She's also going to be on the Earth, Wood and Fire Artist Tour which will be October 23 & 24.  Wisconsin artist studios will be open around Wisconsin and it sounds to me like way to get a start on holiday shopping and purchase handmade gifts (if you aren't making them all yourself).

Thank you for visiting my blog.  Please stop by again. You can also visit my website at: http://www.whorlwindweaver.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment