Saturday, February 5, 2011

Giant space amoeba


Ravelry's Nerd Wars inspired this sock which incorporates prime numbers into the design.

 There is nothing quite like a challenge to spark creativity.  Which is why I love Ravelry and like to join things like the Nerd Wars challenge.  Being a Nerd helps, though I will admit there was a time when I tried to deny my inner nerd. I'm letting her out to play big time.

The yarn is a merino/silk blend that's been in my stash for a very long time.  I'm calling it my "phaser-blast" colorway to keep in tune with my team, Team Enterprise.  For fellow Trekkie geeks, the colorway is modeled after the phaser blast in the original series.  The challenge:  to craft a pattern that somehow incorporates prime numbers into its design.

Those who know me understand that I'm not big on following patterns.  I'm one of those knitters who doesn't really even use patterns, relying Elizabeth Zimmerman's percentage method for all my projects, even when I'm doing someone's established pattern, such as an Alice Starmore.  When it comes to socks, well, I just cast on and knit them.  Which is what I did with these. I had an idea of sorts in my mind.  I was thinking of one of those "alien arrays" the Enterprise (or Voyager) runs into out there in space.  Usually it does something like fling them to the other side of the galaxy or causes a temporal shift that makes everyone to act zany, or else entices a giant space amoeba to endanger the ship.  You know what I mean.

Keeping with the prime numbers theme, I cast on 13 repeats of a 5 stitch pattern. I first knit 11 rows of a knit 3 purl 2 pattern.  Then it got interesting, and I cabled into a twisted rib medley with a knit behind set off by two purls.  Now, I twisted the rib on every third row, and I made five twists--both prime numbers. Then I reunited the knit three rib, knit seven rows and then put in three Triad Cables each cabled on the fifth repeat.  I just unvented the Triad Cable, and I'll explain how those are made when I post the design on Ravelry in case anyone is interested.

I'm not sure what to call this design.  My original idea was Alien Array but I'm not sure if it is array-ish enough.  My alternate name is Twisted Logic, since it is twisted and it does follow a certain prime number based logic.  I'd love to hear from all of you regarding which name I should pick.

1 comment:

  1. Love the prime number sock. Since rib/cables all pull in differently, did you adjust needle sizes as you went along? Your sock looks quite even, very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete