Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vernal Equinox!

Tomorrow is the first day of spring and tonight we have this nice big full moon.  I think getting a full moon to coincide with the Equinox is pretty unusual.  The moon is also supposed to look nice and big in the sky.

I don't know about all of you, but I'm enjoying the longer days and am pretty excited about spring.  I find myself visiting my tiny broccoli sprouts every day to see how they are doing.  On warmer days, I prop open the cold frame so they don't get too warm.  I keep them watered.

I also wander around my yard taking note of all the emerging bulbs.  The crocus are doing great and you can see them below with one of the tribbles I knit for my Ravelry Nerd Wars challenge.  I must keep my fiber addiction alive in the blog even as I slowly transfer my postage stamp suburban plot into a little vegetable farm!  I'm still not sure if backyard chickens are allowed in Naperville. I doubt it.

I also spend a lot of time checking out the daffodils and other spring flowers we have in a large area under our linden which we refer to as "the grotto."  Grass doesn't grow well in the deep shade so we are putting in lots of native woodland wildflowers like spring beauty,  trillium, wild geranium and ferns.  We are hoping to have our own little wildflower haven right in our backyard.  We also added quite a number of daffodils because they are fast and confident producers.  Plus, it keeps my neighbors from complaining too much about the profusion of violets, which, though they are the state flower, are considered weeds by some suburbanites because they are hardy and spread rapidly.  Later this season I'll treat you all to a photo of them.  They are lovely in full bloom and grow well in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment