Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Can ripe toamtoes survive chipmunk connoiseurs?

To pick or not to pick? I picked.
 
Fresh tomatoes! We've all heard people opine about the wonders of growing your own and the sublime experience of chomping on a tomato that is at its peak of freshness.  The herd of chipmunks in my back yard are sure to agree with this wholeheartedly, and they do wait for that lovely moment of peak freshness. The problem is, this peak appears to occur in the middle of the day while I'm at work. I've found more than one half eaten gorgeously fresh tomato lying on the ground.

Which is why I'm faced regularly with picking my tomatoes just ahead of their  becoming fare for my chipmunk connoisseurs..  I gave up on the heirloom varieties last year when every last one of them was snapped up by one of those endearing critters or drilled into by a bird.  I just do plum tomatoes as can be seen in my picture.  They work great in all my recipes.  I've had a good run on ripe tomatoes, but I've learned to be careful not to leave them out too long, especially now they are growing scarce.




2 comments:

  1. A major benefit of feline rodent control is no chipies eating the tomatoes. Now if I could get the slugs under control. Guinea Hens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, my particular suburb has a leash law for cats! Which is okay with me since we like to feed birds too and chipmunks are kind of cute as they fly off the bird feeder and scamper up a tree. Guinea Hens sound like fun. We don't get a lot of slugs, could it be the mourning doves?

    ReplyDelete