Saturday, September 10, 2011

Weavers frog too!

I'm weaving a yoga mat from my handspun.

Joy is what weaving feels like.  Even when I have to frog a few rows because I see a glaring mistake.  Yep, just like knitters, weavers can frog too, except it's more like unweaving and it doesn't make the satisfying "rip-it" sound that unraveling knitwear has if you listen very closely.  It is drowned out by the sighs of the weaver.

This rug is woven on linen rug warp at 5 dents per inch.  Originally threaded for a warp faced weave, I decided to use up some grey Wensleydale, and some multidyed strands of four ply as a plain weave.  So the warp is still showing, but the end result will be flexible and lightweight yet cushy and I'm hoping it will provide the same grip for standing yoga poses as rubber mats do. We shall see.  Either way, I really like the way it's coming out, and as I write this I have about two feet woven.  The colors are a four ply, one each of turquoise, red, green and purple, all from a Rambouillet cross I purchased at Elihu Farm in Valley Falls, New York.  The Wensleydale comes from Homestead Acres Farm up near Door County, Wisconsin.

My loom is a four shaft 60" LeClerc Nylus II.


There's my loom as you see it when you walk into the little room I call my studio.  The sixty inch width is a bit beyond my wingspan, but I know I can comfortably weave up to four feet wide, especially if I keep up with my yoga and remain flexible.  I know I bought this loom a couple of years ago and haven't wove on it.  I think I had bad fengshui with too many looms crowded in all over. I found a buyer for my 36" LeClerc Fanny who I know will love and appreciate the loom.  That was a great loom to work on but I also love the big gal too.  And I'm finally weaving on her.  I want to make some really pretty throws, using luxury fibers like Alpaca, and maybe kid mohair.  I've just scoped out some nice handspun Alpaca yarn stash to use on a "trial run" blanket.  I think I'll make a camelid yoga blanket to go with my yoga rug. This will ensure maximum flexibility for future weaving enjoyment.

The garden is doing well.

With all this, there's still the garden to keep an eye on.  I found all these peppers on a stroll around the yard, and quite a few squash among the compost heap volunteers .  You can see one of those yellow warty ones next to it.   I plan to cook these all together.  I also picked three more acorn squash, a couple of which I will cook tomorrow.  I really enjoy gardening, though I'd like to have seen some better production such as spinach that will actually sprout and grow.  Next year, I will know better!


No comments:

Post a Comment