Friday, November 18, 2011

Get pie with a little help from a friend

I had a little help with my pumpkin pie.


Pie crust and I haven't gotten along for several years. I blame it on incessant dieting. Somewhere during a “low-fat” binge I lost my knack for making a decent pie crust. I tried to regain it but ended out wasting a lot of otherwise good ingredients. So here I am running to the Pillsbury Dough Boy for help! He's a friendly and helpful little guy, providing pie crusts ready to unroll onto the pie plate.

The rest of the pumpkin pie was made the old fashioned way with real pumpkin cut up and roasted in the oven in a pan of water until softened. I went newfangled again when I scooped the pumpkin out of the skin and put it in the food processor. It didn't blend so I added three eggs to puree it. Then I made my pie. Here is the recipe for extra spicy pumpkin pie:

3 cups (about) of pumpkin puree
3 extra large free range eggs
1 cup of organic sugar
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tsp of ginger
¾ tsp of cloves
2 tsp of cinnamon.
Blend until smooth and pour into a pie crust of your choosing.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the custard is set.

This tastes really good. I usually don't like pumpkin pie because it seems bland, but this one has a lot of zing. Okay, I should mention I don't measure my spices all that often, so some pies have more zing than others. You may also notice I gave up on that low fat thing.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo I will need to try this when I do a make-up Thanksgiving dinner for me an Erik! I have a good crust recepie you could try. I will dig it up when I get back to the Netherlands. xxx

    ReplyDelete