Saturday, November 12, 2011

Microwave popcorn with a twist

This corn on the cob was popped in the microwave.
What was I thinking?  All these years I've been buying microwave popcorn and it never occurred to me that all I had to do was throw a handful of corn kernels into a paper bag, crumple it closed and zap it for about 2 minutes, depending, and voila! microwave popcorn.  Consumer robot that I am, I thought I had to buy it in a special bag with great fake butter flavor and too much salt.  For the past 20 years I've paid a premium for a very inexpensive product.  If I add to that all the broken popcorn makers, for the times I decided to save money, and then remove the cost of plain popcorn and some paper bags, then it's downright embarrassing how much money I've wasted. If I spent about $100 a year on microwave popcorn (not impossible considering all the single serving bags I've squandered money on during my many "diets". ) That would be $2,000 just enough to get that LeClerc Compact loom I've been thinking of.  It is amazing how dependent I can be on gimmicks.


Those ears of dark red corn were grown by the Maple Park farmers at my farmer's market. You put an ear in a paper bag and nuke it for about 2 minutes (you know the drill about waiting and listening to make sure it is popped).  Most of the corn popped right off the cob, but some of it stayed on creating "corn-on-the-cob popcorn" which you have to eat that way.  The popcorn was delicious--so fresh and flavorful it didn't need butter or salt or whatever that fake slimy stuff is that lines the bottom of microwave popcorn bags.

Color choices for placemats.
I'm also planning placemats for my fine china.  The pattern we purchased is a little whimsical, and it complements the antique china the dish is sitting on.  The two different china's work together quite nicely and now I would like to make some nice placemats to go with them. The dishes have a strong spring/summer theme. I have some cotton/linen yarn in a bright green, and some viscose bamboo in glowing gold.  With a green warp and gold weft and a nice pattern, I could have something interesting for the table.  And the bamboo is handspun, making it that much more special. What do you think?  I'm looking forward to working on this on the big loom once the rugs are done. Soon, I hope.








No comments:

Post a Comment