Sunday, November 27, 2011

Slow Cloth gets a boost!

A picture of my copy.
Slow Cloth has received a big boost in Deb Robson and Carol Ekarius' new book The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook, More than 200 Fibers from Animal to Spun Yarn, published by Storey, the publisher who brings us all the books about raising sheep and other animals.  Deb Robson is more familiar to fiberfolk as former editor of Spin-Off, but to those of us stuck in apartments and suburban track housing who dream of hilly green fields populated with sheep, Carol Ekarius is familiar to us for her Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep. Together, these knowledgeable veterans are a powerhouse and the book they wrote together more than delivers.

Fiber folk: put this book on your holiday wish list or just call up your independent book seller or yarn store and see if they have it in.  I found mine at Battenkill Books in Cambridge, New York, where I was for the last holiday, and where I often am as that's where I'm from. This is prime sheep country and some of my favorite fleece is produced there (but I may be a little biased!)

The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook is not only filled with lovely fibery pictures of sheep and fleece but lots of information that is well-written and enjoyable to read.  This book can feed your fiber longings for a long, long time and will definitely be my go-to book for information on numerous breeds of sheep and other fiber critters after I've read it cover to cover. This is the book for fiberfolk everywhere, who like foodies and their heritage tomatoes, want fabulous heritage fleece to spin and knit or weave with joy.

I hope this book helps bring an end to the current fascination with those over-processed rovings from overseas  (and worse superwash) and open greater interest in local, sustainably grown, uncovered fleece.  Maybe we'll be seeing more painted roving that come from local sheep and local small mills.  That's what I'll be looking for. Maybe more people will embrace Slow Cloth as a way of life.   

Just to mention, I was in Battenkill Books with my sister-in-law to pick up a copy of Jenna Woginrich's book Barnheart.  Jenna has a farm down the road and not only raises Scottish Blackface sheep, chickens and other critters but has a day-job and is a prolific author.  I didn't reserve a copy, but I know I'll be back there to pick up a book--but I think I'll ask my own local bookstore to get me a copy.



4 comments:

  1. I need to get my copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I'm not far into mine, but look forward to the opportunities I get to peruse it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even do the fiber thing but thoroughly enjoyed looking through the book at the various sheep breeds. Barnheart is more my speed. If only Craftsteader would move close to me. I could do the animal husbandry and she could do the spinning, knitting and weaving.

    ReplyDelete