Sunday, December 18, 2011

What is with that music?

Falalalala--giant Poinsettia    
Considering all the beautiful music written for this season it is pretty sick that we are stuck listening to Rudolf and Jingle Bell Rock in the stores and restaurants.  This jolly drivel is enough to make me run out to the street screaming.  Even the Irish pub didn't have the decency to pop in a few CD's with some instrumental Christmas Carols played on Celtic Harp.  Oh, no, stores and restaurants alike blast  "Hideous Holiday Music Streaming Radio" and subject their customers to migraine inducing trash. Trust me, I would much prefer to do my Yule shopping to the strains of Silent Night or Carol of the Bells.

Brings out the Grinch in me. Though I did break down and purchase a 4 foot pre-lit tree that fits our favorite decorations and packs in up in one piece. This by the way, is a genuine sign of aging--in my youth I'd laugh at aging friends and relatives who didn't get a full-sized tree. But now the laugh is on me! This tree is such a lazy thing I don't even need to artistically drape the base: it  has a pretty pot it sits in with blinking red and green star-bursts. I found it at my local Ace since I refuse to enter a box store this time of year.  I've also sent off my handmade gifts created to the strains of Mozart and Vivaldi instead of purchased under the influence of the country version of Frosty.  What have we done to the Yuletide?

But I won't let the Pac-Man Consumerism ruin the specialness of this time of year!  Or the gift part.  We are stacking our Yule gifts under the coffee-table with the pointsettia.  Under the plant you can see a pile of used LeClerc rag shuttles I purchased on E-Bay.  I opened them because of the return policy. 

Lovely aren't they?  I can use them for weaving my handspun blankets and rugs. I have other rag shuttles, but I've decided LeClerc's are the best, made with the care and quality one finds in products from the Deep North. Some of them are really old and well-used but still in great condition.  Yep: quality.  Yep, I am a fan of LeClerc looms, and I'm saving up for a LeClerc 8-harness Compact to replace the Schacht I bought.  Maybe next Yultide I'll find one under the coffee table!









1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! That music drives me crazy. I wonder how the people who work their stand it.

    ReplyDelete