Monday, January 30, 2012

Experiments in sustainability

Growing lettuce in front of the slider.
Trying something new keeps sustainability interesting.  I found some lettuce seeds left over from summer so I put them to work in this pot, which is actually a baking dish I discovered couldn't be used for baking when I read the instructions.  Go figure Makes a nice looking planter, though. I sowed the seeds densely and am waiting to see what develops.  The soil was a little dry when I took this photo, but now the seedlings have been sprayed down. Will I be able to get a few salads out of this? We shall see. I put a large plant stand in front of the back slider and also use it for making sprouts.  Sprouts are a great way to grow fresh vegetables in winter and are tasty in sandwiches or just as a salad.  I want to try to keep two jars going, but recently had a failure when the sprouts got moldy.  If anyone knows why that happens, please let me know.  I'm pretty good about rinsing and draining the jars regularly.
Yummy bats from BohoKnitterChic
 Diet and exercise has paid off this month with a lovely blend of merino, silk, bamboo and Angelina in shades of sunshine and amethyst.  Gorgeous, isn't it? This is the work of indie dyer and blender BohoKnitterChic who has an Etsy shop by that name. I can't wait to spin it! But of course I have to be methodical about this stuff and I make myself finish up whatever I'm working on before I start something new. Sounds boring to me.  Oh, wait, it's me doing it! Now, I'm confused.

Requisite diet food photo.
If you've looked at as many diet blogs as I do--I love reading blogs--you will know that many diet bloggers put up photos of the food they're eating.  Above are some toastadas  I made with those sprouted tortillas--I prefer the corn ones but the store was out of them.  I made the refried beans myself--they are fat free but loaded with flavoring, and the green stuff is organic spinach that was on sale, then tomatoes and organic pepper jack.  I popped these in the oven till the cheese was nicely melted and served it with homemade guacamole.  They were pretty good.  I have no idea how many calories are in each one. So much for diet blogging.
Perfect little knitting bag. 

I'm a sucker for tote bags. I'm fairly certain this is a knitting thing because we knitters need something to transport or store projects in.  Those reusable grocery bags -- available just about everywhere these days -- are perfect.  Whole Foods just came out with a mini bag, so I bought one. It holds quite a bit, and I'm thinking small knitting project, water bottle, odds and ends for work. I gave up on the fancy briefcase, though I have one for things like writers' conferences. Tote bags are better.

Candles at work.
Soy candles are pretty nice.  The colors aren't as bright, but I like these pastels, they are a cheery way to light the dinner table in January.  And what I really love, is that I can have a pretty candle without the overbearing scent which makes my eyes water. Plus they are easy and fast to make, a big plus for a spinner, knitter, weaver etc.   It's nice to start something in the morning and have it done that night. It's like cooking, but the product doesn't disappear as fast.



1 comment:

  1. Soon you'll have fresh lettuce for your lunch. Yum! Your candles are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete