Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stash Accumulation Syndrome

Slightly crooked picture of weaving stash.
Fiber enthusiasts call it "Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy" or S.A.B.L.E. and there is even a Ravelry group devoted to the phenomenon of fiber folk buying lots of yarn, fleece, roving, cloth or whatever and storing it for future use. I am not alone in being stricken with Stash Accumulation Syndrome (S.A.S.).  I've already reached well into my 70's with the amount of raw fleece and roving I have for spinning.  I might as well start filling my weaving yarn shelves.

This week I succumbed to the latest Yarn Barn mill end sample mailing and I was able to double my weaving stash. Yep, I have a bad case of S.A.S.

My hope to temper S.A.S. by creating fiber rewards for weight loss has, sadly, not gone well.  I need to be honest with myself.  I want a stash of monumental proportions! Like weight, stash comes on much easier than it gets used up.  Take this week for example: I added 15 pounds of coned yarn and lost one pound.  Stash 31 me -10?  Kind of confusing.

Being a realist, I will start diet #974 and work free of association with stash accumulation.  Dieting needs a focus that trumps clever gimmicks.  So off to do some spinning of the exercise bike variety.

1 comment:

  1. I am actively fighting SABLE with regular "stashdown" activities. The problem is the difference between knitting, spinning and weaving stashes! And just because one gets converted to the other doesn't necessarily mean you've made any real progress (IE: Spinning yarn still means you have a bin full of skeined yarn and not a finished object to use or give away.)

    Sigh. Such is the life of an addicted fiber artist ;)

    ReplyDelete