Saturday, August 18, 2012

Eating locally is a lot of work

Black beans from my garden
Shelling beans are one of the things I'm trying out in my garden this year.  Black beans are among those I'm growing and I'm pleased with how they are turning out.  I have a small patch and above you can see the 3/4 cup I harvested so far.  Yep, that's a long way from self-sufficiency, but then it is good to know how to grow them.  I will give them more space next year.

Among the shelling beans I'm trying out are Maine Cranberry beans and Old Mother Stoddard's and a couple other heirloom varieties you can't readily buy.  The Roma beans are full of flowers, and I'm looking forward to a September crop.  I'm waiting on the others, patiently.  The cranberry beans really took off, I'm just waiting for some beans to show up.

This fresh garden produce became a sauce for ravioli Friday.
The garden has been really good so far.  I even have zucchini, but not yet in legendary quantities.  We had quite a few when we got back from vacation, and we grilled a big bunch ate some, froze the rest.  Grilled Zucchini is great on pizza or chopped up in wraps.  I like regular zucchini cooked up with tomatoes and other vegetables with lots of garlic, fresh basil and oregano and serve it up on pasta.  Sometimes I put a little Alfredo sauce from the local Italian grocery to give it a kick, or mix it with white beans, chicken or shrimp.  I could figure out a way to eat pasta everyday.

While my garden is feeding us everyday, the farmers market is filling the freezer.  I purchased a bushel of green beans to freeze (I love green beans!) and a bushel of tomatoes.  The tomatoes are going into making the basis for assorted pasta meals by creating stewed tomatoes with mushrooms and spices.  I've only put a dent in that bushel too, though the green beans are put up thanks to help from the DH. Eating locally is a lot of work.

A lot of work, but worth it especially in the tomato department.  The tomatoes I froze will form the basis of a lot of really quick meals in the future.  Working full time and my love of weaving take up a lot of time.  The time I spend in the kitchen today will pay off in the months ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment