Sunday, September 2, 2012

Call of the looms

A recent project used the entire width of my Leclerc
Weaver's call it OLAD or Obsessive Loom Acquisition Disorder.  There is a woman in Denmark with 23 looms--though she uses them for teaching, and someone in Wisconsin who built a whole ranch house for her collection--though she has recently destashed quite a few.  Some weavers refer to their "herd" or "flock" of looms and I know I'm not the only woman checking Craigslist and the Spinners and Weavers Housecleaning pages to see what equipment is for sale.

But the truth is, how many looms does one woman need?  Or better, how many do I need?  I have my four shaft LeClerc in it's own bedroom and an 8 shaft Schacht taking up an entire table in my workshop.  My Structo Artcraft is in the garage as I don't have room for it.

Last week, I spent a lot of time weaving on the Schacht, completely forgetting the warp on my LeClerc.  This week, I'm on the LeClerc. I just figured out how to throw a shuttle and that's a step forward for a new weaver.  The problem is, my other loom is neglected.

Despite this, I still find myself trolling through the Warped Weaver's Marketplace and other websites looking at looms for sale.  Do I have OLAD?  Yes, I do.  A mild case, I suppose as I haven't purchased one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment