Sunday, September 30, 2012

Meet Chloe, my workshop loom

This Structo Artcraft is around 80 years old.
Bella has been asked to share her room.  Set up on a small table in the corner is Chloe, a solid walnut 14.5 inch weaving width 4 harness Structo Artcraft loom.  This girl is probably 80 or more years old and has been with me for the past 20. She's my first loom. I have her exact age on some paperwork that came with her which I ought to dig out. She's a noisy girl with metal sheds, but I've added texsolv heddles (really all I could find at the time in the correct size) and have placed a folded towel under them to muffle the sound. I've decided it was about time I got her out of storage and set up someplace permanent.  A bit of lithium grease on her solid mechanism has her working beautifully.

Little table looms like this are great for "sampling" which is weaver talk for trying out new patterns.  That's what I'm doing above, though I am making the samples washcloth size, figuring I might as well have something useful after all the work.  Despite being much older than me, this loom is still working beautifully.  And the walnut is quite lovely, though not fashionable these days.  I think it would be if people had walnut stain on real walnut, instead of oak.

These little looms are also good for workshops--though I've read on Ravelry that some teachers prefer you bring one of those little 70 pound folding floor looms.  Now these folding floor rooms cost around $2,000, so I don't think so.  And really, I don't care how "fast" I can go on a floor loom (from what I've read going "fast" is equated with learning more--which I find suspiciously stupid).  So, dear reader, if you are at a workshop with me, I'll  be the "slow" one in the back with my geeky little clanking (yet muffled) Structo-Art Craft loom that didn't cost me two grand and which I can unload from my car carry into the workshop on my own.

Lucky me, my garden has not been stingy when it comes to producing jalapeño peppers.  I also accidentally purchased two from Keller's Farm Stand, which doesn't help.  I will be chopping these up and freezing these.  Fortunately, I have a box of latex gloves I use when I dye and I will be wearing a pair of those!  The hot in the hot pepper is oily and sticks to your hands--rub and eye and oh boy! So I wear disposable gloves now.

That's all for this week!

1 comment:

  1. Table looms are great for portablilty. I have a 22 inch Toika Leena I found on Craigslist a couple years ago. It's has a removable frame to stand it on and I can carry it by myself. It fits in the back seat or the back of my wagon with no problems. I am learning on this loom which I set up in my livingroom. It makes watching a weaving video easier if I need help. When I'm not using it, I can just put it in the corner out of the way. I do have a 22 inch Harrisville 8 harness floor loom, but am finding it easier to use the Leena right now.

    ReplyDelete