Saturday, September 8, 2012

Regrouping

Loom for sale

From time to time, I like to pause and think about things and then regroup.  I will ponder the problem for months then make the decision and quickly move on it.  I'm at the "move on it" stage now, which is why I decided to sell my Schacht table loom soon after finishing the towel project I had on it.  I show it above looking good with the new snazzy tie up tape I tried on it when I realized how bad the duct tape looked in my earlier photos. Despite this tie up draw back--which other weavers have experienced on this model loom--it works well.

I do enjoy weaving on this loom and I've mastered the fine art of warping it--well in general I've figured out how to warp. You, dear reader, know warping doesn't always go well for me, regardless of the loom I'm using.  I've had fabulous warps on this loom, including the first time I wove with handspun and a disaster, which was the last one I put on. 

But I've decided to concentrate on 4 harness weaves after studying the book filled with Bertha Gray Hayes' overshot designs.  Between this and Marguerite Porter Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book, I have a lifetime of weaving designs to work with.  I need to set aside "shaft envy" and concentrate on the core of my interest.  Since I already have a little four-shaft Structo Artcraft loom to take to workshops, I really don't need a 20 inch 8 harness table loom.

So, it is time to release this lovely maple loom to another weaver.  I've advertised it in several places and haver recently reworked th pricing to make it more affordable.  The loom with a 12 dent stainless steel reed, warp sticks, homemade raddle that fits to the back beam and a 640 stainless steel heddles installed is $450, negotiable.  Optional accessories include a 6 and 10 dent stainless steel reed for $35 each and a cute little boat shuttle with 10 bobbins for $25.  These all reflect substantial savings from the new price.

 The 20 inch width is great for someone who wants check weaving out because you can make useful things on it like placemats, towels and scarves. I've made towels with it and cloth for a pillow, so it works really well.  Yes, the tie up thingies slip, which is why it has tape on it.  But this happens on other Schachts of this era and I learned the tape trick from another weaver who had one at a fiber show.  I want to give full disclosure of this drawback.  The friend I brought it from used a system of wooden beads and I once tried those little adjustable clips like you find on winter coats to hold the ties, but I've settled on the vinyl tape method. 


No comments:

Post a Comment