Saturday, March 2, 2013

Meet Hermione!

Hermione-my new-to-me 28" weaving width LeClerc Fanny.
Fibery goodness have been filling my days. The exciting development was to actually fully warp and start weaving on my new-to-me LeClerc Fanny loom.  This waif arrived in a big box on my doorstep right before Christmas.  It took me a while to warp her-- she has a sectional back beam and I don't have sectional equipment so I improvised a way to neatly dress her with a twelve foot black and white towel warp.  These are experimental towels and I have some ideas for how the warp will change next time around, but I'll tell you about that later.  In the meantime, I have 12 to 14 towels to weave on this warp.

Back view of Hermione--get a load of that sectional beam!
Hermione is a dream to weave on. The counterbalance makes her quiet--so quiet that I, who have been clanging away on a jack loom, sometimes wonder if I'm really weaving.  Pinch me! She's pushing forty and everything on her works smoothly and efficiently, the tension break releasing neat little increments and the ratchet pulling everything tight so smoothly.  I LOVE this loom.  And what is exceptionally nice about her is her handy 28" weaving width gives her a slender footprint that allows her to fit nicely into my workshop.
Hermione will be devoted to narrower projects like these towels.
The great thing about having this smaller loom is that I can weave towels, placemats, scarves and shawls to my heart's content.  This loom is the perfect width for so many popular projects without taking up a big bite of space. 

Finished yardage draped on the 60" Nylus II
My ambitious projects like curtains, throws and yardage can spend quality time on my four-harness 60" weaving width LeClerc Nylus II.  Draped over it now is some cheerful cloth I wove from 7/2 cotton rayon in hot pink and slubbed yellow cotton.  This is plain weave and should let the light in, but more importantly cheer the place up during those late night weave-a-thons.  I love light in my studio, so they will likely be pulled open during the day.

Between these looms I have the perfect combination for some seriously productive weaving.

Three-ply home-dyed cormo and silk knit into a hat.

I'm still knitting.  The hat is completely improvised though I suppose I should figure out a pattern for the benefit of someone who may want to knit one.  I made a finer-yarn version for my sister in time for the holidays, and it took a few months before I had one of my own.  I especially  love this yarn, because the carded dyed Cormo and silk really came together well and made an exceptionally smooth and even three-ply yarn.  It was a delight to knit with.

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have a great week of crafting! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, ideas or just want to chat.

3 comments:

  1. I recently aquired access to a 60" Nylus. How do you throw and catch a shuttle on that width. Are you able to lock the treadles down to weave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a firm tension so I have a lot of luck getting the shuttle to slide down the width. The shuttle should be thrown close to the beater so it will come out and land on the little shelf provided (it does quite slickly). If it stops part way, I just give it a little tap to encourage it along.
      I stand at this loom, so I just hold my foot on the treadle when I throw. On an really wide piece where the shuttle might stop short, I just step to the other side, often closing the shed and reopening it when I'm in a better position to give the shuttle a tap and "catch" it on the way out. It is do-able. It just takes thought and coordination since the total weaving width exceeds my "wingspan."

      Delete
  2. Your new loom looks great. I love the towels in progress - gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete