Sunday, April 28, 2013

Damn the scale! Onward!

Despite near- saintly efforts at diet and exercise, the scale refuses to move.  Oh, it went down daringly the first week of my strained efforts at diet and exercise, but popped right back up within  a few days, despite doing everything right.  In fact, it's been popping back and forth for the past few weeks and Friday, I face my first weigh in and measuring in a month and I'm afraid I won't have much to show for all the work.  If a pound comes off I will be amazed.

Glittery roving--the calorie free treat.
 Of course, muscle weighs more than fat. Anyone who has ever tried to lose weight has certainly heard that bit of advice ad-nauseum.  That's one of the numerous irritating diet sayings I want to address today.  Yes, muscle weights more than fat but not THAT much.  And I will know just how much is muscle and fat this Friday since my trainer has a gizmo that will do just that.  Even if I gain a pound of muscle, if the scale doesn't move, I will be annoyed.

Annoyed in a good way, though.  I'm accustomed to this kind of behavior on the part of my body, which seems to love being slathered in lard.  I will just have to soldier on through the disappointment and redouble my effort to convince my body to let go of it. After all, I signed up for a year's worth of personal training so there has to be a time when my body will be willing to let go.

And yes, I will be deprived.  Don't you hate people who say "Don't deprive yourself" when you are on a diet like you were a little kid who would have a tantrum just because you can't get a piece of candy?  Apparently that is a problem with dieting, and if that is my problem I have to really deal with my inner psyche and re-evaluate what is important in my life.  Like making my luxuries not about food. 

How can I feel deprived when I have enough wool to last a lifetime?
How can I feel deprived when I have enough wool stashed to last the lifetime of me and my closest friends?  When I have two looms and four spinning wheels?  And of course I have a great husband and a comfy home!  I am definitely NOT deprived.  Perspective, dear reader, is everything.  And when I'm feeling "deprived" over some unhealthy food item I need to do a reality check over my priorities

Deprivation is good for the soul, as well as the the BMI.  The true deprivation is the years of life I would lose by not "depriving" myself of that so-called "treat".  I am far from ever being deprived and if the whiny part of me starts up, I need to be big enough to shut it down or I will never reach my goal. And believe me, my goal is not to be some inaccessible "ideal" weight from a chart.  It's just to get down to something comfortable--a size 14 say.  I'd like to dump the 60 pound butt pack.

Along with naval gazing advice on deprivation, I can't stand the word "treat".  It brings to mind atrificial ingredient laden 100 calorie "treat" bars at $2.00 a pop that would leave me craving more, so I'd eat the whole box of four and still be hungry.  Once off the "diet", I'd still need the kick from whatever they were and yes, the non-diet ones are regular candy and before you know it I'm back to being chemical lardo.  Being addicted to these easy foods is part of my problem so I'm glad to "deprive" myself of all of them.
My goal is to be healthy and live long to enjoy my life fully--that's NOT deprivation!

No "treats" for me, just good food.  I don't need gimmicks to confuse my food regulating system.  So I am into whole foods like multigrain bread with almond butter.  Now that is delicious and satisfying and I don't need the whole loaf/jar.  And it's not loaded with artificial ingredients.  And then there's plain Greek yogurt with a dollop of all fruit jam and maybe some frozen organic berries. I've rediscovered my love of strawberries which long preceded the chocolate thing.

So Damn what the scale says!  I will continue on this route of exercise and healthy eating and plod along with getting up early and going to the gym, eating healthy food and forging forward despite how long it might take!



2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the scale. Look at how your clothes are fitting. Do you have more stamina than you did before (are you able to walk further, run faster without getting so tired/winded) what you are doing with a personal trainer will make a difference in how your body is functioning internally even if you can't see that evidence just yet.

    I admire what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yes, I do have more stamina. I can do jumping jacks now, which I couldn't do when I started.

    ReplyDelete