Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fleece calls

Dark fleece in an interesting Corriedale X Shetland/Coopworth
Beautiful fleece has a glow to it, and a really pretty one I can spot across a room.  This one was the first thing I saw as I walked into the vendor hall at the Stephenson County Fiber Arts Fair in Cedarville, IL on Saturday.  It perched in the main room glowing a lovely charcoal black, untouched all morning.  I had to come in for a closer look wondering how it had survived so long unsold.  It was well into the afternoon when we got there and I couldn't believe such a lovely fleece still remained. My husband must have read my body language as he immediately volunteered to go find an ATM.  I had, of course, planned not to buy anything, but this was too pretty to pass up!
The flash cut down on the blackness of this fleece.

It has an interesting heritage being a Corriedale crossed with a Shetland Coopworth.  My photos don't do it justice as the flash lightens it too much but it is lovely and I am going to make myself a really nice sweater with it.  And I'm going to start working with it right away.  This won't be going into my stash.


I tried taking some without the flash but it didn't focus well
 I purchased the fleece from the Shepherdess at Psalm 23 Farm in Kiel, Wisconsin. She had some really gorgeous roving too, which I guess is what most people buy.  Which is why this fleece was still there.  My friend Beth shakes her head sometime at my fleece buying.  It does add hours of work to each project, but there is something about experiencing the project from raw fleece right through to finished object that is special.

Pretty caramel alpaca.
Spring Valley Farm happened to be having a sale on their alpaca, and I have a hard time resisting that.  I like alpaca for spinning and weaving into throws, so a sale is a good thing and they had some colors I need.  Especially the rose gray show below.  I want to use it in a gift for my sister.
Some rose gray alpaca
My sister is decorating her new house in warm grays, purple with bits of green and rose so this gives me a nice pallet to work with.  You'll see me spinning this later in the summer and with it I can make something lovely grown, processed and woven right here in Illinois.

Merino X BFL
No trip to Cedarville is complete without a visit to Floya's booth!  She had this intriguing Merino BFL cross that I couldn't resist!  Yep, it's just one of those things, I suppose.

 I know, I know. I was going to be good and use up what I have and not buy anymore, but there are times when fleeces just call to you from across the room.  And I did show some restraint. Floya had the prettiest moorit merino which I resisted as right now I am carding a hug rose gray merino  I purchased from her mom some years back.  Yes, there were quite a few great fleeces I left behind.

3 comments:

  1. I love that black fleece and can see why you jumped to buy it! The alpaca is also gorgeous... I love the feel of alpaca as well! I am a brand new spinner still feeling my way around everything but I already have some fleece in my studio just waiting to be washed! I agree about the feel of working from the fleece on through to the end project! I am so glad I found your blog...I will be following you now and look forward to new postings!
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Feel free to contact me with any questions you have. I've been spinning from fleece for about two decades and have learned a few things!

      Delete