Sunday, May 19, 2013

Look what came home with me!

The Jeep was filled with goodies.
 Just a smidgen of a detour on our vacation--a mere swing into New Jersey our our way to upstate New York from Chicago, allowed me to stop and pick up the lovely loom packed behind the two fleeces.  I stopped at Raveler ABBQuilts house in a lovely part of New Jersey to pick up an 8-harness 30 inch weaving width Loomcraft loom.  Loomcrafts are no longer made, but are much like Gilmore looms, a brand I had also been admiring.  Now I've been wanting a smallish 8 harness floor loom for some time, so I was pretty excited when I realized our May trip East would bring us to within a few hundred miles of this loom.

My husband is a sweetheart and he was more than glad to make the detour.  And meeting Amy was really fun too.  She's a lovely person and we had the kind of great chat old friends have.  So if you wonder why I love Ravelry so much, that's one of the reasons!  There are great people on that site.

Still putting it together!
So here is my new-to-me loom partially put together in her new spot in my family loom.  I still need to put the back beam and the other thing--sorry forgot the name.  We just got home and I'm still stuck under a big pile of laundry.  I will finish putting her together tomorrow.  Her name is Lu-Lu by the way, which is short for Lucinda, as all my looms have old-fashioned names.

I now understand why weavers refer to their loom collection as their "herd."  They are big and unwieldy things.  While you can have a flock of spinning wheels--cute and small like Shetlands unless you have those big walking wheel Suffolk type, looms definitely come in herds.  They are like cattle or buffalo lumbering through your life, living room, spare bedroom, bonus room whatever.  Of course, normal people are scratching their heads wondering what on earth I would do with more than one loom.  Normal people who haven't been stricken with OLAD--Obsessive Loom Acquisition Disorder.  I consider my case fairly mild as I only buy looms I'm fairly certain will fit in my space.  Plus, I sold one loom to make room for this one.  Yes, I suppose I am rationalizing, aren't I? A sure sign of the severity of my OLAD.

And then there's the fleece.
You've all heard of SABLE--Stash Acquisition Beyond Live Expectency--and as usual I'm outdoing myself. I visited Mary Pratt of Elihu Farm while she was skirting some fleeces for the upcoming Memorial Weekend fiber fair in Cummington, Mass. I found myself perusing the stack of fleeces she had already skirted and came across a couple of lovely ones.  Actually, I came across a lot of lovely, but limited myself to two.  The gray one above is one of the mixed bloodline finer fleeces she has.  I love to spin these.

Some yummy Romney.


And then there was this really pretty white Romney fleece.  I just love Romney and those ridged locks like a pile of non-fattening crinkle fries!  I will completely enjoy working with this one. So yep, I will be busy and staying completely out of trouble as I work in my studio/home.

1 comment:

  1. That grey fleece is stunning! Congratulations on your new loom arrival, she sure is pretty.

    ReplyDelete