Monday, September 2, 2013

Reading and recuperating

Work stopped Tuesday evening halfway across the reed.
Back spasms brought crafting to a painful halt on Wednesday afternoon.  I stood up from my desk at work and realized I was in trouble when my back went crazy and it was difficult to walk.  So much for life in the rat race.  I was out for the weekend only feeling good enough today to sit and write my blog--both sitting and walking were on my "ouch" list.  I had hoped to have finished sleighing the reed (weaver talk for threading) have everything tied to the cloth beam and be able to actually start weaving. I hoped to be enjoying some weaving this weekend.

Instead I was flat on my back on an icepack.  The time was not wasted as I caught up on napping and reading.  Having just been to the Northwoods, we had picked up quite a few books. One of them was by the late Justine Kerfoot, a Gunflint Trail old-timer, Woman of the Boundary Waters. It is a book formed from her columns in the local newspaper about life up north back when the Gunflint was a trail, and not a wide, paved and plowed road.  She started there in the 20's so her memory ranged far back.  I kept with my Minnesota author theme by reading Kent Nerburn's The Wolf at Twilight: An Indian Elder's Journey through a Land of Ghosts and Shadows. This is the sequel to Neither Wolf nor Dog. Both gave insight into a culture trampled by the stampede of Western "civilization."

As I was in Minnesota, I couldn't miss a few books by Sigurd F. Olson.  Right now I'm in the middle of The Lonely Land about a canoe trip (not sure if it is up or down when a river flows north) on the Churchill River in northern Saskatchewan some 50 or so years ago. I am glad to learn this environmentalist left behind quite a few books to find and read.

There is nothing the DH and I love better when we travel than finding a local bookstore, or a shelf of books for sale as is the case at Sawbill Lake.  I especially love books filled with the natural history of an area.  It is difficult to find these books at the local bookstore unless they are by a particularly well known author.  It is the bookstores in places like the Boundary Waters, or Estes Park on near Yellowstone or Acadia National Park that are filled with interesting books about the region.

I have to admit that besides weaving and other craft pursuits, I love to travel and read books.  So though I was incapacitated for several days, and though I didn't get anything done in the way of crafts, I certainly enjoyed some good books.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your back gets better soon aunt Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back... ouch, ouch, ouch! I have fibromyalgia so I know about ouch! :D Now you've gone and done it... I have to add more books to my collection of "to read"! All the titles sound super interesting and I certainly agree with you about the local book finds in the out of the way areas (although sadly Acadia is much less out of the way now than even just 20 years ago when I first fell in love with it - *sigh*)
    I really enjoy popping over here to read your posts... we seem to have a lot of things in common, yes, yes, even camping! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch indeed. Fibromyalgia sounds like a worse ouch. The back thing comes and goes. Mostly goes. Hope you feel well!

      Delete