Sunday, October 6, 2013

From stinky to clean

Spinning progress last week.

My other new book From Stinky to Clean and Back Again: Daily Life in the Suburbs will gain its name and first chapter from the never ending pile of laundry at my house.  I am amazed at the amount of laundry two people can make and know it must be worse in households with greater population densities.  Don't worry! I won't let this book get in the way of One Hundred Weaving Mistakes Not to Make, A Zen Journey into Weaving Craft. Gladly, I just discovered a new mistake!

Don't try a new complicated pattern on a large project such as a throw.  Try it out on a towel or something small made with fibers you didn't pay a lot for.  I was planning to do make this mistake with the Canadian Snowflake draft I received from Laura Fry.  Fortunately, common sense crept into my head and I will use it for a future throw project.  First, I will make some towels. It is really important to get to "know" a pattern before diving into a big project, at least this is for me.  I've only been weaving a few years and it takes a few dozen misweaves before I feel comfortable and understand how the pattern works. (I just made up the word misweave, but it means what it sounds like it might mean.)

This where I am today-not much done!

Knowing how the pattern works is essential to finding your way back if you tend to daydream while weaving (me!me!me!) and find yourself lost in the pattern.  Canadian Snowflake has a long repeat so I definitely want to make some towels first.  Towels are my go-to sample source because they are so useful even if the pattern is a mess!

There isn't much to show for a week's work here on the Craftstead.  I have 25 inches worth done on the new runner, and a few inches worth of towel.  Yes, I have a long way to go, especially if I want to free the Fanny up to make some Canadian Snowflake towels!


2 comments:

  1. I wonder if that works on knitting patterns as well - getting to know the pattern seems to make sense before actually beginning one's pattern on the actual project, anyway to me. I am prone to mistakes continually as I'm a relatively new knitter! I must try this out... thanks! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a sample would help--when I knit I also find myself lost until I get the sense of a pattern, and there can be some frogging and starting over if I don't sample. The sample will also help calculate the correct gauge.

      Delete