Sunday, November 24, 2013

Just say "no" to green shakes

Pico di Galo Chicken is my luncheon answer to green shakes.
Weaving has taken a backseat to working out these days as my training shifts into high gear.  There are days I go to the gym twice.  My training is in the afternoon and I don't want to get out of the habit of waking up early and going, so I've ended out exercising twice a day.  I lost three pounds this past week, so I think the extra effort is paying off.

I met with a nutritionist this week, and forgot to tell her I was a foodie.  The idea of a shake that includes lettuce, papaya juice and cilantro is gross.  Yes, cilantro is good for me, but doesn't it belong in Southwest cooking?  So I put together a new lunch recipe which I call Pico de Galo Chicken.  It has plenty of fresh cilantro, vegetables and some  quinoa which apparently is better than anything else in the world despite the bitter coating you have to wash off before cooking.  Wheat is apparently "out" in dieting circles.

Recipe:

3 cups of quinoa
12 ounces of roasted chicken breast, chopped
1 cup of cilantro chopped (this is loosely packed)
juice of two limes
One box 12 oz box of grape tomatoes chopped in half.
1 chopped zucchini
pepper to taste
Serve with a dollop of Guacamole

Makes 6 servings.
 
Lunches ready for the week.

I'm not suppose to eat wheat. Wheat though is not the cause of my obesity.  I am fairly certain it is the sugar that is so often paired with wheat that has caused my problem.  When I saw the YouTube out of the University of California The Complete Skinny on Obesity, I realized the underlying cause of my weight problem. I'm a sugar addict.  And, yes, sugar is addicting and has the same affects on the brain as drugs and alcohol which is why we crave it and can't seem to get enough.  And yes, sugar likes to become fat while being toxic to the liver just like alcohol.  So, I've given sugar up cold turkey.

But, I have to take some of the nutritionists suggestions, since wheat is now "out" I will give up the 12-grain toast that has been my breakfast. I am going along with the nutritionist and returning to oatmeal for breakfast even though it gives me gas. Sorry co-workers.

But I am standing fast against hemp seed.  I mean really, hemp seed? Are you kidding me?  What's wrong with the humble walnut, a yummy and good source of all those great oils we are supposed to have?  Why do you, oh nutritionists, have to come up with hemp seed? Yuck.

I love nuts. I had to give up seeds and nuts years ago when nutritionists were pushing low fat diets. There is no way some green shake drinker is going to get me to replace yummy nuts with rope seeds, now that we are allowed to eat fats again.


2 comments:

  1. I am Weaving Rose's DH. Doesn't that lunch above look yummy? I am glad we are taking a much needed break from the enchiladas from Trader Joes we have had for lunch now for many months. Thank you Weaving Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that lunch sounds totally yummy. I will have to go watch that YouTube video... I am just now in a transitioning phase of a complete diet overhaul to deal with fibromyalgia. I've stopped sugar cold turkey as well. So, wheat is out... well, I'll have to do some research on what I'm supposed to remove and replace it with... Exercise is still not dominant in my life as it once was but I'm working at it, baby steps are required for some things.
    I do hope you also get back to your weaving as I love reading your posts on that subject as well. Ok, mental note to self, Weaving Rose is now a foodie and exercise... hmmm, junkie doesn't sound quite right :D Wishing you the best for all your efforts!
    Hugs
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete