Sunday, December 15, 2013

Big changes for the holidays


The tub and shower combo in our new bathroom
Note to self: don't schedule a big remodeling project during the holidays. Which is just what we did sandwiched between Thanksgiving and Christmas we had our master bathroom redone.  And no, we did not do it ourselves-- the DH and I know our limitations. We prefer to hire skilled craftsman for fear the tile job will look like the selvages on my first weaving project or worse, my first try at hand spinning. Lumpy, bumby and uneven does not a lovely job make. So we hired a local firm called Chris Kare and they did a really nice job and it was all done within two weeks.  Baxter, our dog, also made fast friends with the workers and I think he'll miss the excitement.  Fortunately, Baxter didn't "help."

The cabinets.
There are before pictures, but I won't be showing them. Just think vintage 70's blue bathroom and you can picture it for yourself.  It was in really bad shape so it had to be done.  Now I wonder how I ever put up with the old one.  This month also marks our 30th wedding anniversary, so the new bathroom makes a great gift to ourselves.

As they worked on the project, they came across some electrical problems and we ended out having an electrician come in to straighten them out.  This is the sort of thing that can happen in older suburban tract housing so we weren't completely surprised.  While he was here we had him check out a couple of other things and install some lights. Voila!

Overhead light n my studio!
We added an overhead ceiling fan and light to my studio!  It gets hot there in summer, so DH suggested a ceiling fan.  The man is brilliant!  We purchased one with lights so not only can I cool the place down for summer weaving, but see during winter evenings!  I hadn't realized how much I missed overhead lighting until this beauty went in. The suburban tract housing I've been living in the past thirty years all lacked ceiling lights in the bedrooms.  I realize now how much I missed light from above.

Finishing.
My towels have not languished. I have one more hem to do, which I will get to as soon as I am done blogging.  Once they are hemmed, it's into the washer for some wet finishing and then a good hard press before they are wrapped and sent to family as gifts.  I am really happy with these towels and I'm looking forward to posting them on Ravelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment