Sunday, May 11, 2014

Days of warp and irons



Finished!
Finally, the handtowels are finished--hemmed, washed and ironed and ready for use in our master bathroom. It felt like a long process, but really it wasn't.  I like the way the hems came out.  This time I decided to weave an inch before each towel design started.  I used a straight twill treadling (1,2,3,4) for an inch and separated it with a strand.  Of course, the threading did not produce a straight twill hem, but it worked. This is best shown below.

One inch wove with same thread as warp to use in hem.
I was using a slightly finer warp--a 4/2 cotton with a 3/2 weft.  This made the hem just a bit less bulky.  For the most part I had success neatly rolling it over for the hem.  I like this hem better than using the actual design as I did in some towels earlier. Plus it leaves a line of white to start off the design. I used a contrasting color to delineate the beginning and ending of each hem and finished the sides with blanket stitch before carefully cutting along the line to separate the towels.  I then folded the hems over and used hem stitch.

I am really happy with the way these turned out.

I've begun weaving a gold and green Tencel scarf on the Loomcraft.  I am liking the way this came out but interestingly, I've discovered the first and eight treadle have the same tie up!  I still haven't checked to see if I made a mistake or if the instructions called for it. I'm not sure I want to know!
Scarf with possible tie up error.
So far the scarf looks pretty good with nice looking diamonds.  This is a simple threading of a V and an inverted V and I'm treadling the same way 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,6,5,4,3,2, and then,8, 7,6,5,4,3,2,1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 .  I need to miss the "1" on the next round because the tie up for 1 and 8 are the same!  I suppose I should take a look and see what the tie up should have been, but since it looks nice and I'm in no mood for unweaving, I will just continue what I'm doing.

That's all for this week. Now to just make sure the DH hangs up that hook for my handtowels.

No comments:

Post a Comment