Sunday, August 9, 2015

Anti-inflamatory eating seems to work

A fresh, immediate pasta dish.
Losing weight has been a long fight for me, and I think I have finally found a diet that works with my lifestyle and tastes.  I was tooling around on the internet when I came across Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet. I haven't yet signed up for it, but I found this food pyramid which I printed out and posted on my refrigerator to use as a guide for eating. Having vegetables as the basis of my eating meant I needed to do some serious thinking about how I was eating. For breakfast, for instance, I've changed to 1/2 cup of oatmeal with about 1.5 cups of berries and some walnuts. This is yummy and filling. I have a bit of my favorite completely plain no sugar/no nothing soymilk.

In a hot skillet, add 1 tbs olive oil first and then 1 tbs garlic, 1 tsp hot pepper flakes and  a tbs of sundried tomatoes in oil. Stir. (all measurements are guessed).
Tofu and legumes are one of the foods on the pyramid and that made me think of Oriental cooking. So out came the wok. I have two now, one a traditional carbon steel pan that I've seasoned with grape seed oil and another a ceramic one made in Korea that I found the other day at this big Korean grocery store. I purchased it on a whim because the outside is purple and it is light. It cooks wonderfully and I plan to use for some of my dishes, mostly because I wasn't sure how the acidity of all the tomatoes would work in my carefully seasoned wok.
Add a half a pound of shrimp and toss around "stir fry."
My first food adventure was to the oriental market near where I work. Honestly, I haven't been to an oriental market in years. I went there searching for Soba noodles as I thought that would be a great addition to my organic whole wheat pasta. What I found was amazing. Noodles made of every thing imaginable!  Since I'm supposed to eat three or four grains a day and pasta only a couple of times a week, I think having a variety of grain sources is a good idea. They had millet, corn, buckwheat, black rice, oat and more. Along with that are these amazing sweet potato noodles and mung bean noodles. I was amazed at the noodle selection but it makes sense since noodles are a Chinese invention and most of the world's noodles are consumed in the Far East!
Now add a 3 cups of broccoli florets cut smallish and stir these around.
My next step has been the internet. What do I do with all the cool ingredients I find in the Asian markets? So I've been watching Asian cooking lessons and getting ideas for how I can produce a meal loaded with vegetables and have something that tastes really good.
Add 4 fresh tomatoes sliced and a half cup of fresh basil. Stir and fry some more! I also add a scoop of the pasta's cooking water at this time. The last step is the al dente pasta (4 oz) and 2 tbs of pesto. Toss around and plate. There is enough for two.
And so I tried my hand at stir fry and was able to make a passable Thai and some decent Chinese. And lots of Italian dishes with a base of olive oil, garlic and hot pepper. I stirred this up with some greens and sweet potato noodles and it made a lovely shiny yummy dish.

I'm still pretty new at this, but my larder has already changed significantly. For one I've jammed my noodle shelf with interesting alternatives to my favorite pasta. What I love most about oriental noodles is many of them come wrapped in little single serving packets and they are a bit shorter to fit in a small pot. I love to cook because like fiber arts there is always something to learn!
A shelf of oriental noodles and below lots of nuts.
Since I started trying to eat anti-inflammatory two weeks ago, I've lost a pound each week I also feel a lot better. I'm not young anymore and the aches of age have begun to make themselves known. Being fat doesn't help in that department either. Losing a pound in a week is epic for me. I usually fight to get a half-pound off me. So I am very happy and I feel well fed.  I am enjoying the adventure in my kitchen! So many new and fun foods to try. And stir fry is wonderfully fast.
All I spun during the Tour de Fleece, the green is Border Leicester and the Gray in Romney rug yarn
So that's pretty much why I've not blogged in a couple of weeks. Between the Tour de Fleece and trying to diet, well I've been busy between visiting new grocery stores and trying new ingredients, I've been having a great time. Oh and there's spinning and weaving going on too, but more about that next time!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've found something that works for you. Lovely spinning. Life was too hectic for me to play the Tour this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new diet sounds wonderful. I pray for continued success. Missed you last night at the Book & Bean. Maybe I'll see you at another meting soon.

    ReplyDelete