Sunday, January 17, 2016

Brain farts and other weaving setbacks

Each of the 480 threads needs to be pulled through one of these metal "heddles"
Just when I thought I had turned a corner and reached a point where I was no longer stumbling over tangles in my attempts to produce woven cloth,  I had a brain fart. I had just meticulously wound the warp, successfully beamed the 11 yards of cottolin thread. I was proud. I had arrived.

That's when I had the brain fart. It was time to thread the loom So I sat down and transcribed by threading plan onto graph paper.

Now, I should explain the difference between a brain fart and a brain cramp. A brain cramp is when you are doing something like simple addition, double check it and keep getting different answers. When you have a brain cramp, you know something is wrong.

Many hours later, all re-threaded

A brain fart is when you do something completely wrong and you are so oblivious of it, you think you did a great job! You pat yourself on your back and tell all your friends. You might even blog about it.  That's what I had. A brain fart. I was so proud at how neatly I'd transcribed the threading plan onto my graph paper, I sat down gleefully and confidently threaded three quarters of the loom.

It took that long before I started wondering what was going wrong. For one thing, there were two many threads left for what I thought my plan was. This is called a red flag. So, I ignored it. I kept threading away--and I'm talking about 480 threads here--until my thick realized I had seriously messed the whole thing up.

Two bouts of black warp await threading on loom.

That's when I realized I had a brain fart.  They are tricky that way. They sneak up on you and can leave you with a mess to clean up.  I ended out staying up until 2 a.m trying to figure out where I went wrong--a major brain fart is not something you want to sleep on. Now that I've figured it out, I am diligently rethreading the whole stinking 480 thread project.

I did say there was a dark tangled side to weaving a few years back. I have mastered the tangles, but not all the possible things that go wrong, aka brain farts. Fortunately, I've managed to rethread the loom and will soon be weaving. I hope.

I'm having better luck learning to knit lace.
In other areas, the spinach continues to grow in the cold frame. The leaves are about an inch long now. My diet is doing okay. I joined the slim down challenge on the 6 or 16 in 2016 group on Ravelry.  I am formulating a new strategy and I will let you know if it works. No need to tout some new gimmick. I'm going gimick free, but part of my plan involves replacing the broken airdyne bike with a new used one. I can only stand bouncing on the rebounder for so long, plus it's tough to watch Netflix that way.

In the same group 6 or 16 in 2016, I signed up for dozens of other challenges. This should keep me busy and provide fodder for this blog.  And, as you can see from the photo, I'm finally teaching myself to knit lace. Finally. That's all for this week. See you soon with picture of towels being woven!

Error: In my last blog, I called referred to the Fiesta Placemats as towels. I've corrected that error.

No comments:

Post a Comment