Monday, March 21, 2016

Beauty of crackle

Crackle woven as summer and winter. This photo is sideways, the warp is white.
Crackle has come to fascinate me. Since the workshop, I've been reading up on the structure, and now have both Wilson's and Snyder's book along with Lucy Brusic's Crackle Weave Companion. The whole subject fascinates me and I think the red and white sample detail explains it the best. The warp in this case is white (the sample is on its side). You will notice in some spots how the warp appears to form diamonds. The warp is doing all kinds of interesting things. Mary Meigs Atwater, the grandmother of modern American weaving, termed this weave Crackle, for this very reason---it reminded her of the crackle effect on old pottery. The weave does have an unpronounceable name in Swedish,  but we American weaver's took Atwater's advice and call it "Crackle."

Crackle woven as lace
The one above is woven in a lace treadling. I love all the shapes it makes! I'm thinking I'd like to try some curtains in this weave. We will have to see what happens.


Polychrome treadling
Polychrome is one of my favorites and I am itching to put a warp of scarves on so I can try a few things with my supply of Tencel. But I do have a warp already wound for overshot placemats. I could easily change the plan to Crackle placemats and I'm already looking at a few ideas. Regardless of what it will be, there is definitely Crackle in my future!

Spinach
With the warming days, my spinach is growing, but also receiving visitors! If you look in the upper right you can see where someone was excavating and leaving nesting materials. I took the lid off the cold frame to discourage any thoughts that my spinach patch is "cozy" and "homey"

This weekend, DH and I--well mostly DH---set out three more raised bed garden squares and filled them with dirt. We now have 20 square feet of garden space! I plan to transplant the spinach out there later this week, before the rabbits find the cold-frame and make salad!

Happy Spring everyone! Hope you all have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I just finished a set of crackle weave placemats using mercerized cotton and different treadlings. If I were to do them over again I would add a basketweave selvage to keep the edges straighter. I found that some blocks bowed in, depending on the treadling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete