A compendium of weaving errors


Diving into weaving with gusto, I soon found myself tangled in any number of warping errors. Warp, for those of you uninitiated in weaver’s lingo, are the strings that go across the loom and form the structure on which you weave. In the accompanying photos, the warp is white. Warp needs to be threaded carefully, because if it isn't, you will have trouble that lasts and lasts and last.  And that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.



The olive green weaving above is my latest round of warp troubles. As you may recall, I had some threading errors with this warp earlier when I was weaving with the dark orange colored yarn. To refresh your memory, I add a picture of that here: I had a gap due to missing a dent in a reed (those are the verticle slats the white thread passes through) and to the far left, I’d made a mistake threading the heddles creating a pattern mistake.  Heddles are shown right here from the back of the loom:



To fix my first mistakes, I wove for about 18 inches and then cut the piece off the loom. My intention was to rethread the warp so I’d have a nice perfect looking bit of cloth.  That wasn't happening though and after long painstaking rewarping, I started weaving and more errors hidden in my threading jumped out and tweaked my nose.



Yes, you see the bundled threads  in the close up? What on earth did I do? It took time to get up the courage to investigate my mistake. I wasn’t really sure I wanted to know. Or maybe I was sure I’d made the same stupid mistakes. I wove on doggedly thinking to my mantra: These are dishtowels. I will use them myself and they will be worn out in a few years. After a foot of weaving, I was ready to have a closer look.

I am proud to say, I’ve discovered a whole new class of weaving mistakes! I discovered the tangled web and Shakespeare’s reference gained fresh meaning. All my heddles were threaded properly (I pat myself on the back), but somewhere between the heddles and the reed I had managed to cross the warp threads —I’m showing you a close up of this area just to give you an idea what I’m talking about.

Anyhow, as I weave and create patterns by lifting and lowering groups of threads, the crossed/twisted warp holds some of the threads down creating the odd ugly bundles of improperly unwoven, not in pattern thread.

Warping fine threads at twenty threads per inch is a daunting prospect for a new weaver. I should probably have done something easier. But had I done this, I’d never have found all these interesting ways to mess up the warp. I expect my journey from apprentice to master weaver will be a long and interesting one.

Thank you for visiting my blog. 

Comments

  1. To a non-professional - I can't even notice the mistake from afar! Plus, you should think of your weaving the persian rug way... It was an intentional mistake :P. In any case I still love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks everyone! yes, and someday, when they come out decently, they would make nice gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment